Search This Blog

Tuesday, 29 November 2016

Sound-Jess Smith

 Soundtrack: 

http://www.purple-planet.com/upbeat/4583971257


I found this website after typing in "royalty free music" into google, in order to find a background soundtrack for the Brighton and Graveyard scenes. As a group we decided that we wanted a a happy sound for the Brighton scene as it's displaying the sister's happiness, when they're together and there are many fast paced cuts.Therefore I selected the 'upbeat' category and listened to each soundtrack. The sound that I enjoyed the most and that seemed the most appropriate was the 'Victory', however the rest of the group didn't agree that it matched correctly. 

They thought it was too deep and heavy, compared to a lighter, simple, happy soundtrack they had imagined. So I removed this soundtrack from the sequence and continued my search as I wanted to have a group agreement on the soundtrack as it is a vital part of the post production.

I then came across this website below and made an account, in order to be able to test sounds. I then made a group account for us to be able to be able to download tracks. I downloaded tracks for the Brighton scene, as well as the graveyard scene, which we wanted to have a sad, piano soundtrack for. 
 
Group profile I made in order to download music

There are many different sound tracks on this webiste as you can see in this image
After testing out many different sounds, I found a track called "sad piano walk 2" by Oscar Collin and added it onto the graveyard and flashback sequence. We then all decided this sound fitted perfectly as it did emphasise the sadness that we want the audience to feel. 

I also found out Brighton soundtrack on this website. The track is called 'Fun and Games' and conveyed the right amount of happiness and sence of adventure, that we wanted to come across. The soundtrcak had been used for the whole of the begining Brighton shots, up untill the sisters are sat down on the beach and the dialogue begins. I found it challenging fading out the soundtrack becasue it needed to be cut throughout different points and lowered in volume. I also had to ensure when copy and pasting the soundtrack to ensure it ended with a softer paced section that it didn't sound repettative or obviously editied.

As a group we wanted to have a tense sound for the flashback sequence, but when editing the footage, we decided that we liked the continuation of the piano sound, therefore extended the soundtrack. 

https://player.epidemicsound.com/#/albums/album/22/

I also tried to find sound on Youtube, royalty free channels. But the selected few simply didn't fit.

Dialogue:

We recorded the dialogue to two seperate sound recorders, therefore we needed to match it with the camera's video footage.  To do this, we had to insert markers onto the footage which would allow us to be able to determine exactly when dialogue began, on both the video and the sound recorder, which then meant we could match the markers up on the seperate timelines.
Recording the voiceover for the flashback sequence
However it was easier when matching the sound recordings with the bedroom and classroom footage. All we had to adjust was the volume, making it louder. For example, we recorded the group of extras whispering and made them louder. But we recorded the teachers voice over seperatley after filming, as you can see in the picture to the right. 
We also recorded Emily doing the voiceover for the flashback sequence seperate from filming. This meant we could focus more on ensure that the right things were being said and in the fitting, sad tone of voice. We did write a script for this voiceover, however when we looked back at it we didn't feel that it was too general and not personal to the sisters, therefore I stood in the room and told Emily what to say and she adpated it to how she wanted it to sound which worked out very well.

But we did have a problem when editing the dialogue for the walking to school scene becasue we could only find one of the girls sound recordings. Altough we used two lepel mikes and sound recorders and operated them identically, Hannah's sound didn't end up actually recording, but Emily's did. Therefore we decided to use the camera's sound as it sounded too uneven just using Emily's recording and not Hannah's. But it has come out well and was easier to edit, but we would have prefered the seperate recordings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment