Search This Blog

Wednesday, 23 November 2016

Editing Desisions- Jess Smith

Editing:

-Throughout the editing process we have made a range of decisions, from deciding on what clips to use, how, the duration of clips and how we were going to link all the different settings together. 

-Towards the end of our short film, there is sequence of fast paced shot which we have included to be seen as a flackback scene. We have used shots that were all previously shown in the film, with both of the characters, however the shots in the flashback sequence only include Amy, which is displaying the fact that she has been imagining Ashlee being next to her throughout the whole day. We decided that we wanted each flashback shot to be sharply cut and abrupt as it would help convey to element of a shocking effect to the audience. By having fast cuts, it also emphasises the fact that this sequence is from the past tense and has already all happened. 

-We have also added a video effect filter onto the shots in the flashback sequence. The effect is part of the Final Cut Pro software and is named 'Bad Film'. Overall it makes each shot desaturated and creates a dark atmosphere. The effect also adds a flashing onto the frame which emphasises that the Amy and the audience are quickly re-living these past events, as it seems as though Amy is blinking through the memories. The image below displays the lack of colour that appears in the flackback sequence. 
Filter for flashbacks:

-When editing the flack back sequence, I was also searching for the perfect soundtrack to match the shots. The sound needed to be intense, quite serious and also dominant because there it is the only form of sound that is heard during this part of the film. 

-I found the soundtrack on YouTube from the dubstep music producer and composer, after typing in "royalty free dubstep background music". The reason I chose Dubstep was because I believe it conveys the sense of confusion the audience may be feeling when watching the flashbacks. However it did take a while to find the right sound that I was happy with that fitted to the film. As seen in the image below, taken from Final Cut Pro, I have layered the sound to emphasise the different types of sounds in the track and to also make it more intense. However when I downloaded the track, I released their was a voice that appeared over it every 10 seconds. Although I only lasted around 3 seconds each time, I was important to cut the sound before this was heard, as it didn't have any relevance to the film, therefore this was quite challenging having to cut the sound at specific points and fitting it with the sequence. 

Soundtrack on the film timeline

No comments:

Post a Comment